[lbo-talk] Against the genocide in Sri Lanka

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Apr 23 08:37:33 PDT 2009

On Apr 23, 2009, at 11:10 AM, Politicus E. wrote:
> Ravi wrote "Rajapakse is on a cleverly orchestrated rampage and the
> only immediate influence that can be exerted on him, as far as I can
> see, would come from the Indian government influenced by the
> government of Tamil Nadu."
>
> Perhaps this is the case. The D.M.K., a party for which I have no
> sympathy at all, is circulating rumors of a 12 hour general strike in
> Tamilnadu. Given the election, such a strike has a probability of
> affecting a favorable outcome. Hopefully, you are incorrect that
> "this one is over" in the sense that you specified.

I hope I am incorrect too, but if you think back to the times in the 80s when, with solid support from both AIADMK and DMK the Eelam issue literally shut the city down for weeks on end... I don't see anything similar now, but I am not in Madras this time around. And the more "sophisticated" (i.e., Western style) posturing of the Indian government (self-interest based exercise of power, as opposed to some, if token, concern for moral action) also gives me little hope. The LTTE [deservedly] has few friends, and the Tamil population in Sri Lanka, it seems, have even fewer.

--ravi