[lbo-talk] Americans sorta like torture if it works

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Fri Apr 24 17:14:19 PDT 2009

At 8:44 AM -0500 24/4/09, Carrol Cox wrote:

>I didn't inlclude "Stop Torture" in my hypothetical list of demands that
>would characterize a left worthy of itself because it seemed to me like
>a demand to Stop Burning Witches. The unacceptability of that, and of
>torture for any purpose, has long been taken for granted among civilized
>persons. It shouldn't be necessary to debate tha tpoint on a left list.

Ah, someone old enough to remember what a civilised society used to be like. How quaint.

Anyhow, speaking of burning witches, isn't the important question not so much whether it is civilised to burn witches, but whether it works?

By all accounts it did work. 100% of the time. Not one of the witches burnt at the stake ever cast evil spells again.

Better safe than sorry. So it is quite inconsistent that the ever-practical Bush & Cheney didn't revive burning witches as well. Or do you think there might be more revelations to come?

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas