[lbo-talk] Americans sorta like torture if it works

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 24 11:26:13 PDT 2009

Bill Bartlett wrote:

> Ah, someone old enough to remember what a civilised society used to
> be like. How quaint.

Well, I hadn't thought of it that way but you may be quite right -- with the qualification that the "civilized society" I remember was, as I later came to realize, a complete illusion. At the time I had no qualms, no questions, whatever about the overthrows of Arbenz and Mossedegh. In the 1940s it was simply taken for granted: torture was something "they" did and "we" did not do.

Carrol