[lbo-talk] more on Robinson

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 24 21:03:01 PDT 2009

Michael Smith wrote:

> Frankly I think the important thing here is quantity, not quality.
> We have to get to a point where there are just too many people
> throwing shoes at Israel for the ADL to keep up. The hell with
> nuance and caution and sensitivity and ritual denunciations
> of anti-Semitism as the prolegomena to any possible critique
> of Zionism. It's time for some bare-knuckle demagoguery.

This pretty much says it. The only reason to continuing to make any case against Israel or rather in repeating a case made long ago is that is what one does inside any movement. You keep repeating your self over and over again, as loudly as possible, in the hope (sometimes realized) that every third or fourth time you reepeat the points you gain a few more adherents (at least enough to make up for the ones who drift away or die or burn out). There is no court or legislative committee before whom one can present a case and get a decision. It is merely a matter of power, and power is as you say for this kind of issue mere numbers and noise. There are plenty of people out there who condemn Israel passively to make a hell of a lot of noise, but the active ones have many other issues and the inactive ones don't believe making noise does any good (because it doesn't most of the time, but still it is the only thing that ever does).

Carrol