[lbo-talk] The extreme Google brain

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Wed Apr 29 05:19:55 PDT 2009

On Apr 29, 2009, at 8:04 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2009, at 5:46 PM, Chuck Grimes wrote:
>
>> We live in a very ugly culture in the US.
>
> I agree with what you wrote, but why does Apple make non-ugly stuff?
> They do resist the temptation of going after a commodity product - a
> way of saying their stuff is expensive, and good design helps
> justify high prices - but why the impulse in a largely LCD (lowest
> common denominator, not liquid crystal display) market?

I'd guess that a large part of the reason is Steve Jobs' personal vision for the microcomputer. But I don't think Apple represents an isolated instance in a largely LCD market. Doesn't Hewlett-Packard qualify, particularly in their electronics division? Or how about Hertz?

One may not tag HP and Hertz's appeal to a Gen X crowd, but I don't think you can say their products aren't designed, and they don't base their business decisions on quality issues.

(Heck, even Dollar's experience is carefully designed.)

Best, Charles