[lbo-talk] New Google toy for our list host

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 10:55:13 PDT 2009

[I'd like to goof around with it too, but I'm sure Doug could really take it for a spin. -s]

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/adding-search-power-to-public-data.html

[snip] We just launched a new search feature that makes it easy to find and compare public data. [snip] The data we're including in this first launch represents just a small fraction of all the interesting public data available on the web. There are statistics for prices of cookies, CO2 emissions, asthma frequency, high school graduation rates, bakers' salaries, number of wildfires, and the list goes on. Reliable information about these kinds of things exists thanks to the hard work of data collectors gathering countless survey forms, and of careful statisticians estimating meaningful indicators that make hidden patterns of the world visible to the eye. All the data we've used in this first launch are produced and published by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and the U.S. Census Bureau's Population Division. They did the hard work! We just made the data a bit easier to find and use.

Since Google's acquisition of Trendalyzer two years ago, we have been working on creating a new service that make lots of data instantly available for intuitive, visual exploration. Today's launch is a first step in that direction. We hope people will find this search feature helpful, whether it's used in the classroom, the boardroom or around the kitchen table. We also hope that this will pave the way for public data to take a more central role in informed public conversations.