[lbo-talk] AQ test

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Apr 29 18:34:20 PDT 2009

At 06:53 PM 4/29/2009, Matthias Wasser wrote:
>Haha, I never noticed the acronym before.
>
>On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com>wrote:
>

> > I find this kind of thing annoying -- the tendency to see Asperger's
> > everywhere -- especially after reading a book on nerds last year with a
> > particularly good chapter that found more holes in the thesis than Ronnie
> > Barnhart's character is _Observe and Report_ fires holes into a target.
>
>What book is this?

it's a movie from Jody Hill (The Foot Fist Way). It was very controversial among feminists so, of course, I had to go see it so I could point and laugh at how stupid the criticisms were. I haven't had time to do a proper review, but when a friend asked, I was prompted to write some meandering comments here:

http://cleandraws.com/2009/04/13/ooo-ooo-ooo-new-books-and-a-movie/

The controversy was over whether it was a rape scene. Yeah. But, what was the director's intent, with Anna Faris's line, "Who told you to stop motherfucker?"? Some feminists thought it was a way of condoning rape with a cheap joke. Certainly, that's the way some audience members are going to view it, but Hill's intent was actually to make a sad movie. It's a commentary on pathological, completely divorced from reality masculinity, in my estimation.

There's another part in that film where I wanted to describe it as a kind of violently contagious masculinity. Ahh. I'll have to find time to write a proper analysis.

-- http://cleandraws.com Wear Clean Draws