[lbo-talk] The extreme Google brain

JC Helary brandelune at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 01:21:46 PDT 2009

On jeudi 30 avr. 09, at 03:35, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> DRR writes:
>
>> I've suffered through more Windows machines than I
>> care to remember, then at long last switched to a low-end
>> Mac this year.
>
> Do you mean that you suffered through the ugly ones? Because that's
> what this thread is about.

http://stevenf.tumblr.com/post/101550689/office-2010-preview

Everything is ugly under Windows. Except Apple software, but then being on Windows makes it ugly because it does not fit into the Windows standard ugliness.

As the blogger writes:

"There’s no question that Address Book and iCal do only 10% of what Outlook can do, but somehow that 10% is 80% of what I need."

Good design is about knowing what the 10% is, and not fearing to scrap the remaining 90%. It takes time and money to make a successful 10% product, because it must look like it does 80% of what you need, not _only_ 10%.

Jean-Christophe Helary