[lbo-talk] 31-cent ice cream and anarchist theory

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Apr 30 12:41:20 PDT 2009

> I picked up my kid yesterday and the first thing she said was, "Popa
> (that's the way she spells it, to my great delight), Baskin Robbins
> has ice cream today for 31 cents, can we go?"
>
> So we went, of course, and when we pull in there are 50 people or
> more in line outside and another couple dozen scattered around the
> neighborhood with cones in their hands.
>
> I half expected Dorethea Lange to come tooling up in a Hummer and
> start snapping pictures.

out of curiosity, how much does an ice cream cone usually cost?

had to look up the lange ref, never knew her name, though thoroughly immersed in the world of depression-era WPA photography because of a web site we once built.

as for the anarchist thread, i do agree with carrol that, if you're goin to ask questions, it's probably a point of principled debate that you bother to give your own stab at an answer, first. I'd never thought about it before, until Carrol articulated it in a response to Alan Rudy recently, but it makes a lot of sense.

And I know that, from personal comm, Eric *is* busy and I would find it annoying to be asked questions by someone who reveals that they weren't hoping for an answer anyway. True, I *do* believe Doug when he says he's sincere about wanting a more fleshed out .... er ... anarchist theory of these sorts of things, and so he's asking because he does want to know.

but history an' all... at any rate, now that i've pissed off everyone involved in this convo, we had this discussion once about anarchist theory. i mean contemporary stuff: theories of social life for instance. theories of social movements. theories of how societies work -- or don't. organizational theories. etc. etc.

at the time, around the time the yale (harvard?) anarchist prof was getting denied tenure, but i think the conclusion was that there wasn't much good, contemporary theory.

any updates to that? new participants to the discussion who weren't here before have ideas?

shag