[lbo-talk] 31-cent ice cream and anarchist theory

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 30 13:06:54 PDT 2009

At 12:41 PM 4/30/2009, shag carpet bomb wrote:

>out of curiosity, how much does an ice cream cone usually cost?

At the store I'm talking about it's normally $2.49 a scoop. The special yesterday was 31 cents a scoop, limit three scoops, from 5 to 10 p.m.

There was homework to be done so we left, not that I would have stood in line anyway but that was my excuse. My daughter asked if we could get ice cream at 7-11 instead. I said only if it's 31 cents.

This makes me want to ask if people have ideas or methods about how to temper kids becoming little shopping drones. I don't want to rely on things like "get a job" or "you don't know the value of a dollar" but I do find those tapes running through my head before I reject them. But so far I'm pretty ad-hoc about it. It's hard because you don't want to be a grinch but I think as a parent you have to counter the marketing behemoth somehow.