[lbo-talk] 31-cent ice cream and anarchist theory

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Apr 30 17:53:00 PDT 2009

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> > This makes me want to ask if people have ideas or methods about how
> to temper kids becoming little shopping drones. I don't want to rely
> on things like "get a job" or "you don't know the value of a dollar"
> but I do find those tapes running through my head before I reject
> them. But so far I'm pretty ad-hoc about it. It's hard because you
> don't want to be a grinch but I think as a parent you have to counter
> the marketing behemoth somehow.

I don't think you can -- you just raise your blood pressure to no avail. BUT, at least in many cases, when the kid gets tobe 25 or so, despite your complete failure as a parent along the way, surprise, surprise, a lot of your attitudes have somehow mysteriously blossomed in the offspring! Success after all but who knows how.

Carrol