[lbo-talk] 31-cent ice cream and anarchist theory

Sheldon humanist.observer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 19:26:03 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:
> At 12:41 PM 4/30/2009, shag carpet bomb wrote:
>
> This makes me want to ask if people have ideas or methods about how to
> temper kids becoming little shopping drones.  I don't want to rely on things
> like "get a job" or "you don't know the value of a dollar" but I do find
> those tapes running through my head before I reject them.  But so far I'm
> pretty ad-hoc about it.  It's hard because you don't want to be a grinch but
> I think as a parent you have to counter the marketing behemoth somehow.

This does not come from experience as my child is younger than yours, so I am just guessing. But I think you gotta give up some ice cream every now and then. Don't be an old sour-puss all the time. Leftist probably can slide into that really easy.

As I have told my five year old, and promise to tell him as he grows. We might go see that movie, but that is no reason to buy the crappy cereal marketed along with it.

Louis Proyect recently had a post about a kid who was raised by SWP parents, and all he ever wanted was a skateboard and he never got it. Now he's a real prick who's in love with his hi-def flat screen TV. Maybe things would have been different if he had gotten that skateboard?

"A: People have been fucking saying that my whole life. I like my life, and I don’t really want to change. I don’t need society to be dismantled. I don’t want to feel guilty about the things I have. I have a 32-inch high-def flat-screen TV. I fucking love that thing, man."

ttp://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2009/04/01/said-sayrafiezadeh-david-horowitz-wannabe/