[lbo-talk] Black scholar arrest angers Obama

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Aug 3 15:57:09 PDT 2009

Jean-Christophe Helary writes:

> Such people don't try to come into your place to fix things
> that are not broken.

Ok, so who wants to stand up with Jean-Christophe and say that they don't want cops responding to a 911 call from someone who says it looks like two men broke into their house. Be sure to include in your position whether it's okay in this case for cops to affirmatively resolve whether or not the person who is doing the breaking-in should identify themselves with something other than clarity (which might include, for instance, using a piece of photo ID that has your address on it, rather than one that merely establishes that you're on-staff at an Ivy League school).

Dispatcher: 911, what is your emergency? Caller: Two men look like they are breaking into the house across the street! Dispatcher: That's not broken, go away

Sorry, I think you're alone on this one.

FWIW, I had this happen to me once. The alarm at my live-work-ish office went off around 4am, and the alarm company called both me and the cops. I got down there before the cops showed up, and found the place dark and secure: no broken windows, door locked. I opened up the door, went inside, and turned the lights on, thinking that might be a good idea. When the cruiser pulled up a minute or two later, the cop was all-business and took my walking around inside as something uncool; I appreciated this immediately as I went to the door to open it for him and saw through the peep-hole that his hand was on his holster as he backed up to take a defensive position. He treated me as suspicious, though professionally, up until the time that he established that it was okay for me to be the one opening the door for him. At that point we cleared the office together so that he was satisfied that it was an alarm error and not something we missed that triggered the alarm.

I appreciated that he responded to the call, and left him a big tip :-)

/jordan