[lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 5 10:31:22 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Post-Protestant? Most Americans are Protestants.

Barely. 51% in 2008 (assuming all non-Catholic Christians are Proddies), down from 60% in 1990.

<http://www.americanreligionsurvey-aris.org/reports/ ARIS_Report_2008.pdf>.

"...Americans are slowly becoming less Christian and...in recent decades the challenge to Christianity in American society does not come from other world religions or new religious movements (NRMs) but rather from a rejection of all organized religions."

In the American imagination, we're all rural white Protestants, when in fact we're not.

Doug