[lbo-talk] Review of Badiou's Number and Numbers

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 10:42:32 PDT 2009

Chuck Grimes

. I was presenting a sketch of how I conceive the idea that math is ontology.

^^^^^

CB: Seems believable that objective reality has both quantity and quality. A certain way of thinking holds that they transform into each other.

There's bigger and smaller, and there's number.

I have a hypothesis on "number" originating in commodity exchange, i.e. trade. There are well known ethographic facts on pre-trade cultures only counting to 5 or so, i.e. not having numbers, arithmetic.

Does "math is ontology" mean reality only has quantity ?