[lbo-talk] Review of Badiou's Number and Numbers

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 15:48:10 PDT 2009

There is a sociology of math... here're some examples (by pretty darned reputable folks):

MacKenzie, Donald (2001). Mechanizing Proof: Computing, Risk, and Trust. The MIT Press.

Mazzotti ، Massimo (1998)"The Geometers of God،" Isis ، 1998 ، 89: 674 – 701

David Bloor and Walter G. Vincenti (2003)"Boundaries, Contingencies and Rigor: Thoughts on Mathematics Prompted by a case study in Transonic Aerodynamics" *Social Studies of Science*,vol 33 No .4.

Livingston,Eric(1986) *Ethnomethodological Foundations of Mathematics*, Routledge & Kegan Paul

Livingston, Eric (1999) "Cultures of Proving" *Social studies of science, pp.*29 p867-888.

Restivo, Sal (1992) *Mathematics in society and History: Sociological Inquiries*, Kluwer.

********************************************************* Alan P. Rudy Dept. Sociology, Anthropology and Social Work Central Michigan University 124 Anspach Hall Mt Pleasant, MI 48858 517-881-6319