[lbo-talk] Why are the coup leaders so intransigent?

Matthias Wasser matthias.wasser at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 12:55:04 PDT 2009

My understanding is that there's been no small amount of thuggery and a number of disappearances. If this has to be done slowly because of international attention/a commitment to returning to normal, they might just want to buy time so they can finish the job.

Less conspiratorally: I think they just want to hold power until the next election comes, supervise it, and disband themselves. That way the central narrative that everything was legal is maintained. It's not like they expect Zelaya to do anything.