[lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 11 10:50:41 PDT 2009

If by "symbols" we just mean "something that points beyond itself," a sign (not to get into semiology), I think that their use is very common among nonhumans. A smell points to the source of the smell. A bared grin points to "oh crap the alpha dog is pissed off." An event points to a future event. Animals don't live in the solipsism of the moment. It's hard to imagine any but the most rudimentary form of stimulus-response behavior that doesn't use them.