[lbo-talk] bada bing bada-badiou

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Aug 11 11:40:22 PDT 2009

shag carpet bomb wrote:

> also, can't help but think of simmel who sauntered in and out of
> seeming paradoxes such as "he who wholly loves cannot wholly love."
>
> and then i'm left wondering why the entire history of american
> metaphysics was just left out: santayana, james, dewey, whitehead,
> justus buchler.
>
> buchler wrote _Metaphysics of Natural Complexes_ dealing with this
> issue of one and many. Nevermind Whitehead.
>
> They apparently don't exist for Badiou. which, I guess, well... if you
> are going to say that Heidegger is the last metaphysician... yeah yeah
> yeah. he means 'widely' known I suppose.
>
> whine whine whine.

Carrol's made this point before: you can't read everything. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Badiou hasn't read Buchler or Santayana or James. It is a bit frustrating, though, to see people grappling with problems in their own academic silo when they could learn a lot from insanely intelligent people who live in a different academic silo. (My favorite example: Butler's main points in Gender Trouble are an ornate restatement of the sociological work of people like Goffman and Garfinkel decades earlier.)

Miles