[lbo-talk] bada bing bada-badiou

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 12:42:24 PDT 2009

> Carrol's made this point before: you can't read everything. It wouldn't
> surprise me at all if Badiou hasn't read Buchler or Santayana or James.
> It is a bit frustrating, though, to see people grappling with problems
> in their own academic silo when they could learn a lot from insanely
> intelligent people who live in a different academic silo. (My favorite
> example: Butler's main points in Gender Trouble are an ornate
> restatement of the sociological work of people like Goffman and
> Garfinkel decades earlier.)
>
> Miles

I have nothing productive to say about this, but somehow the back and forth on this reminds of a really awful joke that made me laugh on Making Light. Maybe it will amuse you if your are in the mood.

Heisenberg, Godel, and Chomsky walk into a bar. Heisenberg says "This seems very improbable. I think we are in a joke, but I can't be certain". "Ah", says Godel. "If we were outside the joke we could know. But since we are inside the joke, there is no way to decide whether we are inside a joke or not.". "Of course we are in a joke. " replies Chomsky, "but you are telling it wrong!"