[lbo-talk] Twitter: >40% pointless babble

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Aug 13 20:49:42 PDT 2009

It's 11:50pm and I am going to dip into tomorrow's (or rather the day after's) quota and post just this one:

On Aug 13, 2009, at 5:05 PM, Bob Morris wrote:
> I frequently find more useful stuff to blog by doing a Twitter /
> FriendFeed
> search than on Google. And now Facebook will have a similar real
> time search
>
> With Facebook buying Friendfeed for their development crew and
> search (among
> other things), things are going to get real interesting, Some uber-
> geeks
> think the real target is Google.
>
> http://www.steverubel.com/photo-facebook-search-social-news-search
>
> This, folks, is a very very big deal. And it's just the beginning.
> If you
> think about the number of sites that use Facebook Connect and ponder
> whether
> the crawl could span to those satellites as well, suddenly you can
> see a new
> era for search emerging. Google should be scared. Facebook may have
> a leg in
> here - if they can keep their community growing.

First of all who is this Rubel guy? Second, I am going to go out on a limb here and say, WTF? I mean, I know that in the tech blogistan (TechCrutch ;-), ReadWriteWeb, sites like that) there has been a lot of hand-wringing about why the god-awful FriendFeed isn't more popular. But really, don't you think you have to do a bit more work (no, I am not going to read Steve Rubel, so please do not point me back to the link), than a passing reference to Facebook Connect (what is the number of sites using FB connect anyway?), to explain how a social network site coupled with an aggregator of other assorted endearing inanities, is going to index the web in a manner that threatens Google?

Doug wrote:
> PS: I doubt that Carrol Cox has any idea what Twitter actually is,
> but I'll let that pass for now.

Er, umm, I think that's pretty much what he said, old chap!

--ravi