[lbo-talk] Ubuntu stuff

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 18:46:05 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Doug Henwood<dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2009, at 9:22 PM, Mike Beggs wrote:
>
>> I was about to get an ipod touch until I found out how tied
>> in to itunes it was
>
> To most people, that "restriction" makes the thing easier to use. I'm not a
> technological naif, and I'm no friend of IP restrictions, but I really like
> how seamless, smooth, and bulletproof the iPhone-iTunes ecology is. And it
> looks so much nicer than that crap on a Blackberry.

I'm no technical genius but it seems to me that it would not be too hard to make iTunes optional. Other mp3 players manage it; the iPod Nano does with a bit of tweaking. Extra effort had to go into making it _not_ work with other software, a deliberate effort to make the device less functional. It's also much harder for 'most people' to do things with the iPod that are easy with other mp3 players, like copying your mp3's onto your mate's computer, or copying mp3s off them without wiping everything else off your iPod. This is a deliberate crippling of a device you pay a premium price for. That's annoying! Also, you have to pay to download stuff from iTunes. That's really annoying!

Cheers, Mike scandalum.wordpress.com