[lbo-talk] Ubuntu stuff

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Mon Aug 17 19:18:55 PDT 2009

On Mon, August 17, 2009 6:46 pm, Mike Beggs wrote:

> Also, you have to pay to download
> stuff from iTunes. That's really annoying!

In fairness to Apple, some of the content is free and it can be convenient to put all your podcast downloads in one place (for example, the uproarious Tikibar, some of the best sketch comedy around, is 100% free -- check out http://www.tikibartv.com/ for links and swag). Also, I do occasionally purchase stuff from iTunes, because I want the artist in question to be financially compensated (e.g. MC Solaar).

But on the whole, the pay-for-access model of media distribution is dying a richly deserved death. We're moving towards a free access/pay-for-swag culture, where digitally-organized consumers are wresting power from the corporate pigopolies and where new forms of sharing and cooperation are emerging.

-- DRR