[lbo-talk] Ubuntu stuff

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 18 09:01:54 PDT 2009

--- On Tue, 8/18/09, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> also, the problems rosenburg identifies are not with poor
> project management. rather, he notes that the 'bazaar' model
> (remember! there was an entire book published online
> advocating the 'bazaar' model of open source development, as
> opposed to the bad, 'cathedral' model) doesn't work the way
> it was advertised. for another, rosenburg's argument is that
> it may just be in the limited way we conceptualized what we

[WS:] I am not sure how much analogy can be made between the above and the argument posed by John Kenneth Galbraith - who is definitely on "our" side - in his book _The New Industrial State_ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Industrial_State

If I read it correctly, the decentralized "market" model cannot produce nearly as many externalities as a managed (or "cathedral") model can, and it is these externalities greatly enhance the general quality of life. Of course, producing these quality of life externalities is only a potential of a managed system which may or may not be actualized in practice (depending on particular managerial decisions) - but the market system does not even have that potential.

I may add that what market system can and does produce is a deluge of substandard crap that competes on the low price alone while sacrificing quality.

The fact that many computer geeks abandoned, at least in principle, managed systems of code production and distribution in favor of the free market utopia is the evidence - if not pf the inculcation of this social group with neo-liberal ideology, then of elective affinity between this ideology and belief systems of code producers.

Wojtek