[lbo-talk] Ubuntu stuff

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Aug 18 09:16:11 PDT 2009

At 12:01 PM 8/18/2009, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>--- On Tue, 8/18/09, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:
>

> > also, the problems rosenburg identifies are not with poor
> > project management. rather, he notes that the 'bazaar' model
> > (remember! there was an entire book published online
> > advocating the 'bazaar' model of open source development, as
> > opposed to the bad, 'cathedral' model) doesn't work the way
> > it was advertised. for another, rosenburg's argument is that
> > it may just be in the limited way we conceptualized what we
>
>[WS:] I am not sure how much analogy can be made between the above

it was an overt reference to one of the touchstone publications behind the "free software" movement, esr's The Cathedral and the Bazaar. It was a pointed jab at those who claim that less buggy code was not hailed as the primary social benefit of free and open source software development models. "Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow" was coined by Linus Torvalds himself for christ sake. this is Raymond's abstract:

"I anatomize a successful open-source project, fetchmail, that was run as a deliberate test of the surprising theories about software engineering suggested by the history of Linux. I discuss these theories in terms of two fundamentally different development styles, the ``cathedral'' model of most of the commercial world versus the ``bazaar'' model of the Linux world. I show that these models derive from opposing assumptions about the nature of the software-debugging task. I then make a sustained argument from the Linux experience for the proposition that ``Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow'', suggest productive analogies with other self-correcting systems of selfish agents, and conclude with some exploration of the implications of this insight for the future of software."

as for the stupid shit about elective affinities, it would be a good idea to actually, you know, empirically observe folks who actually do the work or, at least, pay attention to the difference between a stallmanite defender of _open source_ v a rayondite defender of "free software" and the existence of people like Mitch Kapor who has spent millions donating to social welfare projects and contributing to the democratic party, yadda. libertarianism is hardly Kapor's vision.

shag