[lbo-talk] Frankfurt on the Hudson

joel schalit jschalit at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 14:44:15 PDT 2009

The author of the review wrote a fairly harsh critique of Zizek last fall. I am surprised he did not upbraid Adorno and Horkheimer in particular for their lack of sympathy for Zionist efforts at the time. Horkheimer, and even Marcuse, were particularly antipathetic.

Best, Joel

On Aug 19, 2009 12:53 PM, <dredmond at efn.org> wrote:

On Wed, August 19, 2009 10:35 am, Doug Henwood forwarded:

> [via Lou Proyect] > > Frankfurt on the Hudson > How the fathers of
Critical Theory found their wa...

> Reading Adorno on modern music, or Benjamin on literature, it is >
momentarily possible to believe... [Extended cackle of post-Imperial glee]. Ah, Adorno is truly the ghost in the neoliberal machine, isn't he? No bubble-speculation is safe from the rapier of negative dialectics...

To paraphrase Adorno slightly, true criticism has been and will always be nothing other than the thought-form of emancipation. And hermeticism is functional in our ever more totalized, Googled and Terror-War-warped system: it is the principled rejection of what is, in the name of what could be.

-- DRR