[lbo-talk] Frankfurt on the Hudson

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 21:19:05 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:02 PM, Eubulides<paraconsistent at comcast.net> wrote:

> http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2003/2003-December/029037.html
>
> Perhaps it's time for leftists to end the fetishization of negation?
>
> Critique is not enough, no? Do open-ended iterations of metacritique get us
> anywhere at all?

And the positive construction of a favorable scenario demands more initiative than the clash with pre-fixed conditions. An affirmative “doing” qualifies defection, impressing a sensual and operative taste on the present. The conflict is engaged starting from what we have constituted through fleeing in order to defend social relations and new forms of life out of which we are already making experience. To the ancient idea of fleeing in order to better attack is added the certainty that the fight will be all the more effective if one has something else to lose besides one’s own chains. [Paolo Virno]