[lbo-talk] free!

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Aug 20 10:18:18 PDT 2009

Matt asks:

> You mean your laptop only used occasionally to print a label cost you
> more than your 99.999% uptime server class machine? No way!

Way. The laptop cost me nearly $3k in 1999, and the latest server about $2k in 2006. Moore's Law and all, you understand.

> If software from Redmond is so cheap, why aren't you replacing the
> RHEL server with Windows Server 2007 and IIS?

I compared vendors, and price was only one factor -- and it wasn't an important one. A LOT of other things went into the decision. I'm not saying it's cheap; I'm just saying that claims of predatory pricing by Wojtek are exaggerated (because it happens in the free-ish world, too), and the free-ish does not stand in contrast to the Windows-ish. You say GIMP, I say IrfanView.

FWIW, the RHEL server also runs Windows Server 2003 (Small Business) as a vmware image :-)

/jordan