[lbo-talk] Microsoft: 0, Google: 1

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 16:28:03 PDT 2009

Easier said that done. Faculty members used to be able to decide what software they use in their work but that choice has been taken away. Right now it the decision of some IT or administration guy in the name of national security, efficiency, standardization, or perhaps that Microsoft is a major donor to JHU.

I am pretty sure that it is the situation in most workplaces. The only people who can still decide what software to use in their work and independent consultants and the like.

Which brings me to the old subject of workplace autonomy. It used to be the blue collar issue but right now the white collar and professional workers are being taylorised and Redmond plays a big role in that process.

This is my last posting today, as I am seriously over the quota (but still pissed.)

Wojtek