[lbo-talk] Microsoft: 0, Google: 1

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Aug 21 17:55:14 PDT 2009

At 04:19 PM 8/21/2009, Matt wrote:
>On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 01:21:02PM -0400, Wojtek S wrote:
>
> > Not to mention the fact that I have to re-learn Excel because the 2007
> has a
> > very different user interface than the 2003.
>
>There is a little flash program where you can click the menus in what
>looks like office 2003 and then it shows you where it is in 2007.
>
>http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100744321033.aspx
>
>This seems to have been very helpful where I work as most people made
>the switch without extensive training.
>

>Matt
\

pretty slick.

from what i saw of the changes, it's clear to me that they were trying to make it easier to use. it might require some ramp up, but the benefits of the new approach seem pretty obvious. it's pretty unlikely that someone or ones at microsoft just want to rule over everyone. they think that it's a better user interface and spent a lot of money to make it more usable, probably doing a lot of user research. the idea that someone just, at whim, decided to propagate changes on a scale this huge, to be able to lord it over users, is absurd in the extreme.

user experience and usability professionals might make bad decisions, but it has a lot more to do with complext organizational bureaucracy than it probably ever had to do with the shenanigans of individuals who get their jollies frustrating end users.

shag