[lbo-talk] Microsoft: 0, Google: 1

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Fri Aug 21 18:52:12 PDT 2009

At 8:55 PM -0400 21/8/09, shag carpet bomb wrote:

>At 04:19 PM 8/21/2009, Matt wrote:
>>On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 01:21:02PM -0400, Wojtek S wrote:
>>
>>> Not to mention the fact that I have to re-learn Excel because the
>>>2007 has a
>>> very different user interface than the 2003.
>>
>>There is a little flash program where you can click the menus in what
>>looks like office 2003 and then it shows you where it is in 2007.

I had forgotten where the menu items were, long ago. I'm guessing many users had, that's the whole idea of keyboard shortcuts.

>>This seems to have been very helpful where I work as most people made
>>the switch without extensive training.

Most people never learned how to use a word processor to begin with. Most people used it like a typewriter, even inserting manual line breaks. To edit a writer's article for layout you first need to go through and replace all the double paragraph breaks with single paragraph breaks and single paragraph breaks with spaces. Then you need to assign appropriate styles to all the text. Then you can start proof-reading their text. Teachers and writers are the most hopeless. Often they have to pay someone to get their manuscripts into a fit state to read. They never can learn to use a word-processor, they don't even know what it does.

So of course it doesn't take them long to adjust to a completely different program, they never learned how to use the first one, they won't learn to use the next one either.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell tas