[lbo-talk] Review of Badiou's Number and Numbers

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Aug 22 19:51:58 PDT 2009

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 17:52:11 -0700 (PDT) Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> writes:

> Meh. The Vienna Circle were a bunch of ideologues who used the
> insights of smart people that they didn't understand to club their
> enemies over the head. Just like modern-day libertarians appealing
> to Nietszche. Carnap's "critique" of Heidegger wouldn't pass a
> Philosophy 101 class. He missed the point entirely.

I take it that you are referring to Carnap's essay, ""The Elimination of Metaphysics Through Logical Analysis of Language," in which he attacks Heidegger while praising Nietzsche.

The relationship between Carnap and Heidegger has received much scholarly attention in recent years, starting with Michael Friedman's, A Parting of the Ways: Carnap, Cassirer and Heidegger. A couple of interesting pieces include, "Heidegger and Carnap on the Overcoming of Metaphysics," (http://people.ucsc.edu/~abestone/papers/uberwindung.pdf )

and "Carnap's 'Elimination of Metaphysics Through Logical Analysis of Language'. A Retrospective Consideration of the Relationship between Continental and Analytic Philosophy" (http://www.phil.cmu.edu/projects/carnap/jena/GabrielJena.rtf).

As far as your point about the Vienna Circle allegedly using the insights of smart people that they did not understand, well Wittgenstein seems to have made that sort of complaint against them. On the other hand it seems to me that if excise from the early Wittgenstein all the mystical bits, you are left with something like the positivists' picture of Wittgenstein.

Jim F.