[lbo-talk] Green Capitalism not in libraries!

Bill Quimby wquimby at embarqmail.com
Sun Aug 23 13:37:14 PDT 2009

I assume that you are talking about a public library? If so the rotten attitude may be because you are a serious reader. Most public libraries (I'm speaking in generalities, of course - there may be some that are super) have a difficult time with "serious" readers. First - if they are not in some some of consortium than any books that you request through Interlibrary Loan cost them lots of money in staff time and fees - $5 to $10 per request. They'll frown if you request that they buy something "serious" because they know that you may be the only person to read it. (R must have charmed someone!) And attitude? - almost all pub libs depend solely on public money and so are now suffering from very large budget cuts and layoffs.

One hope for the future is what's happening in Ohio - the statewide university sharing consortium now includes a few large public libraries, and there are talks on expanding to some degree of connectivity with all publics in the state.

Incidentally I checked WorldCat (a listing of the holdings of 71,000 libraries world-wide, holding over 1.5 billion books - it's www.worldcat.org if anybody wants to use it.) and that librarian was right! Three libraries have it - two in Australia and one in Minnesota!. That's very strange, especially since this database includes academic libraries as well. One of the book review sources that libraries depend on for acquisition advice may have really panned it, if they covered it at all.

- Bill