[lbo-talk] Chazelle: Jury Duty Democracy

Matthias Wasser matthias.wasser at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 05:21:51 PDT 2009

The primary problem with sortition, I think, is that legislators would lack a lot of the technical expertise we take for granted under electoral democracy.

It would probably improve if you had each year's assembly assigned to five years of intense education beforehand, which would concentrate a lot of power in the hands of the elite educators, but not more, neccessarily, than would be consequent in any advanced industrial society, along with direct election of technocrats - a Cabinet without a President.