[lbo-talk] Let's Argue About Sonic Youth's "Retro-necro reverence"!

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 09:29:03 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Andy <andy274 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Jeffrey Fisher<jeff.jfisher at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > As for Sonic Youth themselves, I knew nothing of them until I was
> introduced
> > by a friend to Daydream Nation (1988, I believe, was the release, to
> answer
> > Chris's question), and it was a revelation.
>
> Like some others, I've always thought that this was their weakest (of
> the ones I've heard, I've been remiss for the past decade or so) and I
> never understood how it was particularly accessible. It flirts with
> boring.

"Flirts with boring," I can understand -- but only flirts. It is (imho) the first four and final four tracks that are truly sublime. The others are good enough. Thinking about it, I can say I do actually know those songs in the middle, but they are not go-to.

> But, yeah, sex, pizza and SY.

See? It's all already there in Daydream Nation. ;-)

> But the ecstatic splendor of Sister... just listening to that gets me
> high.

For me it's Hyperstation.