[lbo-talk] Americans think about the public option

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 11:46:27 PDT 2009

[WS:] I do not disagree with your broad concept of "reaganism" or your claim that they controlled public policy and discourse (even uder Clinton administration.) My point was slightly different, namely that their rise to power was possible mainly because society as whole moved to to the right as a result of declining standards of living. Had those standards of living been rising, I think society as a whole would become more liberal, and reaganism as we know it woul dnot have happened.

To say it differently, the change of living condition is the key to political attitudes of society (the being determines consciousness thing.) A decline in the living conditions tends to produce conservatiev attitudes, which in turn bribngs conservative parties to power. A rise of living conditions tend to produce more liberal attitudes, which in turn brings liberal or left wing parties to power. Of course, there are always exceptions, but these are general trends in most modern societies.

^^^^ CB: OK, but I guess I'd have to say that's a bit vulgarly materialist with no offense intended. I don't quite think objective conditions are so predominant, nor that progress only occurs with "rising expectations" unmet ( somebody recently said that's de Toqueville's theory). The 1950's were the Golden Age in the US but liberals didn't come to power. The 1930's had falling living standards, but it brought the New Deal. We just entered a recession , yet the American population went more liberal in this election than the last, started to end Reaganism.The exceptions to your rule are as "big" as your rule, no ?