[lbo-talk] Americans think about the public option

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 12:42:47 PDT 2009

[WS:] Sure, it is more than rising or declining conditions (btw this is the j-curve theory http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Chowning_Davies).

I think that the key factor is institutions that either facilitate or impede certain political factions. In the US, this was in a large part a grave strategic mistake of the labor movement not to build political institutions and parties (as the European labor movement did) but instead rely on the existing ones (not just Democrats, but also capitalist institutions from insurance schemes to direct negotiations with capitalists) which made it very difficult for liberal and left leaning parties to solidify political influence as the right did.

But such institution building must take place in favorable economic climate, when economy is expanding rather than shrinking, which in the US was before the 1960s. After that, a steady economic decline of the working and later middle class made it even more difficult.

Wojtek