[lbo-talk] let's argue about the cause of mental illness

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 26 23:53:10 PDT 2009

Suicide rates in the U.S. have been on a slight uptick in recent years (5% over ten years ago), but they're still much lower than they were up until the 90's... when antidepressants began to be widely prescribed. I doubt this is a coincidence. The rise in acceptance of both talk therapy and prescriptions for mental illness has been a progressive historical development.

Why leftists would oppose this is beyond me. Just as we demand public health care, we should be agitating for public mental health care. Instead, we have radicals implicitly finding common ground with traditionalists, obscurantists, and Scientologists. But, really this is just part and parcel of the reactionary anti-technology undercurrent of the contemporary left.