[lbo-talk] class and classical music

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Aug 27 13:18:32 PDT 2009

Michael Perelman wrote:

> I always thought music began as a diversion during work.

Well, we are not taling about its _ultimate_ beginning, which is probably pre-homo sapiens, but with the beginning of each 'genus' of music in recorded history. Hence Joanna mentions the mnuet, first a dance, then part of the symphony. I doubt that anyone ever hummed a minuet while breaking rocks.

If we think of _song_, then my guess would be it began either in ritual (e.g., death mourning) or children's play But it is pure speculation. We _know_ where several musical styles originated in modern times.

Carrol