[lbo-talk] US not a private enterprise system

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Fri Aug 28 06:55:37 PDT 2009

Nice piece from JH. Made me think of the film Khartoum, which isa huge hoot. I posted a couple of clips on my blog, back in the day. I'll try and find them. One is a discussion among Brit colonial officials, talking naked imperialism. The other is a stirring anti-colonial speech from Laurence Olivier as the Mahdi, which reminds me of a similar bit in Gunga Din from the Hindu rebel leader. ("Kill for the love of Kali!!") In both cases you get a masterful, supremely eloquent interweaving of anti-imperialism and religious fanaticism, obviously for the purpose of conflating one with the other.