[lbo-talk] let's argue about the cause of mental illness

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Aug 28 08:33:48 PDT 2009

shag carpet bomb wrote:
> At 10:02 AM 8/28/2009, Carrol Cox wrote:
>> Everyone tried to replace a non-question with some question that could
>> be (possibly) discussed.
>

> when I consulted the archives, *YOU* have answered my question at
> least four times in the past explaining that yes, of course, the claim
> that mental disorders are called by "chemical imbalances" is nonsense.
> It is useful nonsense, in your view, but nonsense nonetheless.
> Similarly, Miles has argued the same over the years, and repeated it
> in this conversation. Both of you confirmed Petersen's claims, which
> was what I was asking about: are the claims about mental illness
> caused by "chemical disorders"unfounded?

I guess I should clarify my perspective on this. I don't think that the "chemical imbalances cause mental illness" claim is complete nonsense. There are definitely examples of drug treatments that cause improvements in mental illness symptoms. For instance, lithium carbonate significantly moderates the manic/depressive mood swings in most people with bipolar disorder. Clearly lithium must cause some physiological changes that affect these psychological symptoms. Could lithium affect neurotransmitter production? Perhaps. --But it gets even more complicated: lithium has many different physiological effects. Which ones are the ones that cause the moderation in the mood swings? Lithium may work by affecting physiological factors that have little to do with "chemical imbalances" in the brain.

So can drugs reduce symptoms of psychological disorders? Yes, for a number of disorders. Do Phamas exaggerate the effectiveness of the drugs and use simplistic claims to sell their products? Definitely.

Miles