[lbo-talk] class and classical music

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Aug 28 23:55:43 PDT 2009

Doug writes

"Yes. But these are highly stylized dances - like I said yesterday, "Bach's 'dance' music is a long way from what people can cavort to." Much of the solo violin music, for example, has dance names, but I can't imagine bewigged, tutu-clad people dancing to it."

What I was really trying to get at is that what we think of as "highbrow" music has its roots in and derives its energy from what Schiller would call "naive" art -- a collective, anonymously created form that evolves through social interaction and action rather than through theorizing. The connection between dance and "classical" music seems a good example of that.

As for Balanchine; you almost always go home hungry. I've been watching his stuff for years cause SF ballet is always doing it. I think he was a charlatan. Either that or SF ballet has no idea how to dance him.

Joanna