[lbo-talk] fitness for the left

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 2 07:55:07 PST 2009

[Wow.]

<http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=189171881697>

Fitness for the Left Kettlebell Strength and Traning(8 Session Class) Host: The Brecht Forum Type: Sports - Sports Practice Network: Global Date: Monday, January 25, 2010 Time: 5:30pm - 7:00pm Location: The Brecht Forum Street: 451 West Street (Between Bank and Bethune) City/Town: New York, NY

Monday, January 25 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm 8 Session Class Begins Fitness for the Left

Kettlebell Strength and Conditioning Gregory Landess

Many of us on the left have let our health priorities fade as we're forced to deal with the unfair mental and spiritual burdens placed upon us as we strive for social justice. We are also repelled by mainstream fitness which is corrupted by body image issues, consumer gimmicks and misinformation that leaves the trainee feeling less than empowered.

Training teaches harmony necessary for personal and community development. A fitness lifestyle will make you feel better while increasing your ability to perform at a higher level, helping yourself and helping others.

My goal is to make people fit for daily living. If you are fit we'll make you an athlete. Athletes will be turned into champions. Perhaps you have struggled with fitness your entire life. Make the choice, say yes to strength, put these techniques under your belt and never look back.

What is a kettlebell?:

The Russian word for kettlebell, “girya” was first found in the Russian dictionary in the 1700's. More important than the weight itself is the technique demanded to manipulate the object. Practicing kettlebells teaches you techniques applicable to any situation life may put you in. As a tool a kettlebell is simply a weight with an off- center handle. Aside from the Russian history, examples of training with leverage modified weights have been seen in many cultures.

You will never find a weight as symmetrical as a dumbbell or machine in real life. When you do an exercise with a dumbbell, say an overhead press, no matter what the weight is, the balance is set so you move in the same groove regardless of weight difference. This leads to the stereotypical stiffness found in many weightlifters. The weight distribution of a kettlebell demands that you counter balance the external resistance creating a flexible strength, expanding range of motion and recruiting stabilizer muscles while providing other benefits. The ergonomic design of kettlebells also provide another major benefit in allowing you to swing the weight. These ballistic swinging exercises teach trainees how to handle weight with momentum. A football player may be able to bench press 300lbs but in a game that player needs to be able to handle that weight rushing at them with momentum and intentions of off balancing. A child may only weigh 50lbs but a mother must be able to root her energy and control that mass of momentum as it goes darting into traffic. Kettlebell training translates into real world functional, practical strength.

Any practice that works requires an element of hard work. I won't say kettlebell training is an easy way to reach your goals but I can guarantee it as an efficient means of progress. Your development will be undeniable.

Workshop Itinerary:

1.Mobility – You will not be able to utilize your strength if you can't move. Learn how to increase your ability to move. These exercises will enhance your ability to perform while improving your health and energy flow. Feel better, improve attitude, remedy illness and reduce pain with these techniques and practices.

2.Strength – The ability to apply strength is a learned skill. Extremely strong people didn't just wake up one day to set a world record. They spent time working hard and fine tuning their nervous systems. Learn how to develop superhuman strength with the body you have. Many of us are unable to apply our strength because in our efforts we're stepping on the gas and brake at the same time. The problem often isn't the hardware but rather our bodies software. Reprogram your wiring to instantly see the strength of a mutant.

3.Endurance – One hour at the gym won't make up for 23 hours on the couch. Learn techniques to instantly improve your cardiovascular abilities so you can make it through the day with time for what is important to you and energy to spare. In life's marathon your legs will only get you so far. Maintaining a never say die attitude takes technique and strategy.

4. Nutrition – Although my methods will allow you to live on fried chicken and ice cream while maintaining a body worthy of a statue, this approach isn't recommended. Live better and feel better with proven nutritional guidelines and practices. Perform better with simple dietary adjustments.

5. Program design – It is about how you put it all together. There are 100 ways to get to the same place. Chart a course that works best for you and conquer goals you never imagined.

$75-$100