[lbo-talk] 'Grey Vampirism' Obama's betrayal of hope

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 14:24:30 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 4:04 AM, Eric Beck <ersatzdog at gmail.com> wrote:

> I also think k-punk's generally okay, but the grey vampire/troll (I
> refuse to capitalize) cosmology is just silly, a bad, John Hughes-like
> sociology. Actually, it's even more nefarious than that: it actively
> creates hierarchies -- k-punk is obviously a fan, not a GV or troll --
> and labels that can be applied to people you want to exclude or who
> ask uncomfortable questions or make criticisms you don't like (i.e.,
> can't answer). Fans are definitely the cool kids at the lunch table.

Yeah - Harman's is probably the most insufferable blog on the internet and it's unfortunate k-punk came into his orbit. I can see what people like about the Grey Vampire idea, but having seen how this whole thing unfolded in that part of blogland, I could never use it with a straight face. It was basically a way to short-circuit a debate with people they got sick of debating, and withdraw without maintaining the arrogant front. It's fine to get sick of debating, but to dismiss critics who were clearly not trolls with this new bestiary just opened them up for mockery. It's just a version of the rhetorical move of speculating about your opponent's mental health.

Mike