[lbo-talk] 'Grey Vampirism' Obama's betrayal of hope

Voyou voyou1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 17:03:21 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 12:37 -0600, Eric Beck wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Voyou <voyou1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In a sense that's true, but that objection seems a bit disingenuous. The
> > whole point of the troll/grey vampire identification, it seems, is to
> > provide an argument as to why certain criticisms _should_ be ignored,
> > and to identify which criticisms these are.
>
> Two things seem odd about this: (1) why the taxonomy of types,
> identities, if the real concern is kinds of arguments? Why nouns and
> not adjectives? (2) Why create this architecture of identity for

That's a good point. Part of the point of the classification, if I understand it, is to identify a pattern of behavior rather than a discrete action; but congealing that pattern of behavior into an identity is something else, and not obviously justified. And I guess this move to identity would tend to emphasize the psychology of the grey vampire as an individual pathology, rather than as a result of the more general demands of academia, and the latter seems to me to be a more fruitful position than the former.

-- Voyou <voyou1 at gmail.com>