[lbo-talk] 'Grey Vampirism' Obama's betrayal of hope

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 04:37:06 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 11:04 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> ha! i figured as much. could you point me at who they were arguing with to
> begin with?

It started as an episode in the Great Badiou/Sonic Youth War of June 2009. Ancient history now but I chronicled part of it here: http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20090824/011889.html

For context on the Grey Vampire stuff... the original k-punk post about Grey Vampires etc, is actually this one:

http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/011172.html

Which clearly relates it to the debate on Badiou. Adswithoutproducts wrote a response here:

http://adswithoutproducts.com/2009/06/12/badiou-baddles/

Soon after came the k-punk piece James linked to: http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/011182.html

Ads came back with another post - though he says he's not sure if k-punk was responding to him or someone else:

http://adswithoutproducts.com/2009/06/20/more-on-kpunk/

Tons of comments there which you can follow up to your heart's content, or not. The trope took on a life of its own after that.

For the record, I think k-punk is a brilliant music critic (except on Sonic Youth), sometimes a good political and social critic and sometimes pretty off the wall (e.g. the latest - http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/011382.html), and generally an entertaining, great blogger. I think the Grey Vampire stuff is silly.

Mike scandalum.wordpress.com