[lbo-talk] Jane Hamsher, dissident

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Dec 4 04:44:49 PST 2009

At 07:29 PM 12/2/2009, SA wrote:
>So in the spirit of that thread: Are these people radicals could
>profitably ally with? (Insert your own definition of radical).

I guess the question, for me, is what do you mean by "ally with"? I don't think Hamsher will ever move outside of conventional politics or anything. She's akin to the religious right: it's an independent fundraising and branding machine. She's always been about that. She wants to create a force to threaten dems into voting the way they want. But there's no raison d'etre for their existence otherwise - is there? - which makes Hamsher unlike the religious right. The religious right has, uh, projects regardless as to who is in office and, some aspects of the religious right have been deeply apolitical -- because they invest their energies in these other, uh, projects. Hamsher's org has no reason for being other than to act as the loyal opposition to the democrats. But it seems to remain completely at the level of fund-raising -- raising funds for the organization which will ultimately need Democratic bad actors in order to survive.

I don't think orgs like Hamsher's create people who are actors or doers. They just stuff cash into piggy banks branded by the firedoglake logo.

shag