[lbo-talk] Jane Hamsher, dissident

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 09:37:52 PST 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 6:44 AM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:
> At 07:29 PM 12/2/2009, SA wrote:
>>
>> So in the spirit of that thread: Are these people radicals could
>> profitably ally with? (Insert your own definition of radical).
>
> I guess the question, for me, is what do you mean by "ally with"? I don't
> think Hamsher will ever move outside of conventional politics or anything.

I'm also very skeptical about allying with such people. Keeping tabs on who expresses dissent from Obama seems like an interesting parlor game, but nothing beyond that really. As you say, Hamsher is a loyal Democrat who will stick with her party in the end, just as some neocons express discomfort with Bush's big-government ways but will always ultimately support the Republican Party. More relevantly for me, her economic politics will be only limited to (mild) redistribution and the nation will be her political base unit. For me, that's not an opportunity; it's a trap.