[lbo-talk] deadly force

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 10 16:12:06 PST 2009

At 11:00 AM 12/10/2009, Jordan Hayes wrote:

>Doug quotes Choire:
>
>>>The main downside, it seems to me, is that, now that the
>>>intruder is dead, she'll never know why he was breaking in.
>
>Right, there's so many good reasons for breaking into someone's
>house for 10+ minutes and not stopping when they hear a warning
>shot. Maybe the guy was deaf, did that poor woman ever think of
>that? Maybe he was delivering a birthday cake; sometimes delivery
>people have to spend 10+ minutes breaking down a door, because hey:
>they live for the tips!

Yeah. That was highly selective editing to back up highly smarmy editorializing. Here's the whole story:

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/woman.kills.intruder.2.1360139.html

Dec 10, 2009 6:11 am US/Eastern

Audio: Police OK Woman's Killing Of Intruder

Okla. Man Shot, Killed After Breaking Into Woman's Home

Entire Horrifying Incident Recorded On Call With Police Dispatcher

CUSHING, Okla. (CBS)

Billy Riley, 53, was shot and killed after he broke into an Oklahoma woman's home on Friday, Dec. 4, 2009.

It's every homeowner's worst nightmare, especially if you live alone: someone breaks into your home while you're there. It happened to 57-year-old Donna Jackson in Oklahoma, and as heard in her dramatic 9-1-1 call, she took matters into her own hands.

"They need to hurry. He's going to break this thing open. When he does, I'll have to kill him and I don't want to kill kim."

Those are the words of Jackson while on phone with a police dispatcher as an intruder began breaking into her home in rural Oklahoma.

Dispatcher: "OK, and you have a gun?"

Jackson: "Yes I do. I do not have it out. It's a shotgun and I will use it."

For more than 10 minutes, Jackson stayed on the phone with the dispatcher and pleaded for help.

Jackson: "He's still here."

Dispatcher: "Yeah, I can hear him banging. Can you understand what he's saying at all?"

Jackson: "Well he's crazy, he's crazy."

Dispatcher: "I can hear him yelling."

Scared and along, Jackson took out her shotgun. The dispatcher informed her of her rights.

Dispatcher: "OK. County 13 is advising that you can defend your property if you need to."

Jackson: "I don't want to have to kill this man, but I'll kill him graveyard dead ma'am."

Dispatcher: "I understand."

Eventually, the suspect, identified as 53-year-old Billy Riley, used a chair and a patio table to break into the house.

Jackson: "I've turned off all the lights I can. Oh crap, he's breaking in."

Dispatcher: "He's breaking in now?"

Jackson: "He's breaking in now."

Dispatcher: (aside) "He's breaking in."

Still, Jackson was reluctant to shoot.

Jackson: "He looks to be an older man, I don't want to kill him."

Dispatcher: "I understand ma'am."

Jackson: "He's kicking in the door, please hurry!"

But a few minutes later, her worst fears came true.

Jackson: "Oh! He's got it! [Breaks in] I'm putting the phone down now."

Dispatcher: "She hung up on me. He came through the window. He came through the door. He threw a chair through the door."

And one minute later there were gun shots heard.

Jackson: "Dear God, hurry! I haven't shot yet, hurry!" (Gun Shot)

Dispatcher: "Oh my God."

Jackson: "I shot him. I'm going out front. I hit him. Oh God, help me! Oh please dear God, I think I killed him, please Father in heaven, please Father in heaven!"

The suspect was killed, and the only thing Jackson was left with was anguish.

Jackson: "Oh ma'am, I shot him."

Dispatcher: "It's OK ma'am. It's OK."

Jackson: "He hasn't moved. I shot him. [Crying]"

Police said they will not charge Jackson with a crime. Prosecutors said she was justified under Oklahoma's "stand-your-ground" law.

Authorities don't know why the suspect broke into the home