[lbo-talk] "Latino" identity more prevalent on left than among actual Latinos

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Dec 14 11:45:24 PST 2009

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Dennis Claxton quoted wiki quoting Raoul Lowery saying:

> "For years I have campaigned against the Los Angeles Times-imposed word,
> "Latino", in describing the country's fastest growing ethnic "Group,"
> those with Spanish-surnames, those who speak Spanish, et al. The LA
> Times set its feet in concrete and the use of the word "Latino" and
> nothing has cracked the concrete since. Worst of all, other newspapers
> have followed the Times' lead and news coverage, accuracy and the
> community have suffered."

Interesting. Does this account largely stand up to fact checking? I have long had the impression that Latino is the hegemonic word in California, but rarely comes up in conversation in New York, where Hispanic seems the word of choice. Perhaps the NYT has its own code, and regional word use follows the dominant papers.

Michael